Cycling to the University is easy thanks to a comprehensive network of cycle and bridle paths connecting with Treforest from all directions. Have a look at the Cycle Network routes on Sustrans
The Treforest Community Route is now open. It joins up with the existing Church Village Community Route creating a lovely 6 mile traffic-free trail from Llantrisant to Treforest (on Llantwit Road). Featuring two great pieces of public artwork, an array of biodiversity and spectacular views of the surrounding valleys, the routes will offer fantastic commuting and leisure opportunities for staff and students of the University of South Wales.
Bicycle shelters and stands
Covered cycle shelters are available across the University campuses:
At Lower Glyntaff Campus we now have a SEWTA funded covered bike shelter to provide secure storage of your bike. There are also locker and shower facilities available for cyclists.
Showers and lockers
Showers and coin operated lockers are available to cyclists at the Glyntaff Campus.
Keeping Cardiff Moving provide a selection of reconditioned bikes at a reduced rate, bike hire and cycle training facilities, just visit the Keeping Cardiff Moving website for more information.
Student & Staff Bicycle Registration Scheme
The Estates and Facilities Department have set up a Bicycle Database. Students that cycle to the University can register their details with a description of their bicycle, enhancing the probability of bike recovery should it be lost or stolen.
We have negotiated discounts with some local bike shop providers.
EC Cycles have a set rate of 10% discount in store if you provide Student ID. However if you are a loyal customer, they offer 15% discount.
DT Bicycles offer student discount with a valid NUS Extra card.
One of the most important changes everyone can make to the parking issues at the University is to walk between campuses instead of driving. The most direct route from Treforest campus to Glyntaff is:-
- Leave Treforest campus via the Brook Street entrance, and turn right down Brook Street.
- Cross over the road and at the end turn left so that you are walking towards the station.
- Go into the station and cross over the railway using the pedestrian bridge.
- Once out of the station, cross over the road and walk down Castle Street (side street with Pink Shop on the corner).
- At the end of the road, cross over (Caution: Local residents have indicated this crossing point as one where extra care should be taken) the street and use the pedestrian crossing over the River Taff.
- Once over the river, turn left following the footpath alongside the river.
- Cross over the road at the end, and bear right so that you cross the closed slip roads.
- Follow the path up through the grass verge, and at the top of this small hill, cross over the road, and take the hard right turn into Cemetery Road.
- The Glyntaff campus is on the right-hand side.